Monday, July 18, 2005

The Raveonettes- or, What is the most underrated pop single of all time?


I went to see the Raveonettes in King Tut's tonight. My God, there's a band. How we love the Raveonettes. Apart from the fact that no photograph can ever do her justice, the girl in the band (above, Sharin is her name, Sharin Foo) is the single most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Also, their last single featured Ronnie Spector taking us all back to 1963 with her 'Woh-oh-ooohhh' backing vocals, which appeared in ghostly splendour on a backing tape at tonight's show. They are a fine band, the Raveonettes.

During the show, while they played it, it struck me that they have recorded the most underrated, most overlooked pop single of all time, and it's called That Great Love Sound. My question to you is- what is the most criminally ignored single, by any band, of any era, to your knowledge? A muffin for every worthwhile suggestion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I reckon the answer to the mystery question is "Vegetable, Animal, Mineral" by Joyrider (it's on Popshot); 3 minutes of sublime Irish pop with a hook that would put the fear of God into Moby Dick. Or it could be Angels by Robbie Williams.
Feel free to post a link to www.kenilweb.com or www.GlasgowHat.com. Or both; I like the traffic...

cheers

clum

Anonymous said...

Or it could be more or less any track off "The Human Atom Bombs" by Randy. Think an even better version of The Hives' "Veni, Vidi, Vicious" where almost every track has a hook or a riff as good as Main Offender or Supply and Demand. It really is that good...

BJD said...

Calum- just rediscovered the Joyrider song- really great song. I like songs like that which seem to have three or four choruses strung together rather than vers/chorus/vers/chorus etc. It's not unlike the Undertones, in fact.

tj said...

Not sure if it is a single - if it's not it should be. "Lives of Crime" by the Fruitbats. I found it on the subpop site from the link on your blog, Brian. It is the best song I've heard this year. Pure pop perfection. The first 2 verses and chorus just hook me. Everyone go listen now. Just need to figure out how to transfer it onto my MP3 player. Can Shareaza downloads be transferred to MP3 players? Technical support needed!